Business & Employment Litigation
The attorneys at CowanPerry have represented hundreds of businesses of all sizes, from Fortune 500 companies to sole proprietorships, in both state and federal courts throughout Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee. In representing its clients, the firm’s members have handled lawsuits in many areas of the law which are vital to businesses including contract, licensing and lease disputes, labor and employment disputes, construction matters, shareholder derivative suits, copyright and trademark infringement suits, antitrust and unfair competition claims and product liability and wrongful death suits. The firm also has extensive experience in the area of alternative dispute resolution including mediation and arbitration. The firm manages all aspects of litigation, from the complaint through trial or settlement, and all necessary appeals. This allows our clients to focus on their businesses.
- Successfully pursued former employee of Fortune 500 Company for theft of trade secrets and violation of restrictive covenants, obtaining both preliminary and permanent injunctions, monetary damages and attorney’s fees
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a multinational manufacturing and financing company related to breach of contract charges for a construction project at the company’s facility in Salem, Virginia
- Successfully defended a breach of lease claim for a national telecommunications carrier
- Obtained the dismissal of a trademark infringement claim for a tax and title company accused of infringing the trademark of a national company
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a large energy company accused of violating a mineral lease by damaging the minerals before the minerals could be mined.
- Represented an electronics manufacturer in obtaining their dismissal from a products liability case
- Successfully mediated the buyout of a partner in a closely held business in a case involving allegations of fiduciary duty breaches and misuse of company assets